Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dick and - Obama?

I can't help it. I've been looking at Nixon's speeches during the 1968 campaign for a class today, and I have a eerie déjà vu when listening to some of the arguments. I can't help but notice some similarities between Richard Nixon and - Obama. It's really odd, but it's the strategy of claming to speak for the Americans themselves (in Nixon's case: the silent majority) and claiming to go beyond party limits for the sake of America and the necessity of a 'period of negotiation' because "there isn't a place in the world where the United States isn't worse off than it was eight years ago".
I'm not saying there are actual parallel between them (also not that their speeches of performances are similar). But it just struck me as pretty odd, if not creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment